Thursday, May 8, 2008

What's the controversy over?



Staying on the topic of Mr. James...

While researching for my last post, I found this image of the cover of the April 2008 volume of Vogue. Now let me get a few things out on the table:

1. LeBron James is an awesome basketball player. His stats are comparable to Michael Jordan’s when he was this far in his career. He could be considered by many to be the king of basketball at this point.
2. Gisele Bundchen is an amazing model and I would take her over the original King Kong’s Fey any day.

Looking at the comparison of photographs, it is easy to see the resemblance. I am not sure if the editors chose this picture with the knowledge of what it resembles. Personally, I think it’s awesome. It is my perception that LeBron would want to be seen as comparable to King Kong. His Image is that of power. He is a basketball player, a champion, a strong competitor, and an athlete. If I was his PR agent, I think this would be perfect for him.

Not to mention that he is the first black man to ever be featured on the cover of Vogue. Although 40 percent of Men’s Vogue features black males, this is a first for the flagship publication.

I’ve seen numerous comments that James and Bundchen are two of the most beautiful people in the world, so why is this cover so controversial? Are the white men still afraid that the black men are going to take away all their women? I certainly hope not. This is 2008, not the 1920’s. So why is this generating so much buzz?

I cannot help but compare this to the story of the famous boxer Jack Johnson who was persecuted for his lust for white women. Although he was the greatest of his time, he was held back from title fights when he deserved them because of his “antics.”

Any one who has followed LeBron knows that he is no monster, just a dominator on the court. To me the cover seems playful. Although LeBron is in the dominant roll, Gisele seems to be enjoying herself, almost as if she were dancing with him.

This controversy that I wrestle with in my mind just goes to show that the world of PR isn’t sound. Not everything is as simple as it seems.

Check out the conversation brewing over this cover of Vogue here.

No comments: