Friday, May 16, 2008

Do Women Have the Upper Hand in PR?



Where are those dudes? Why do women “own” the PR business? Do I have a chance in a women’s world?

I am one of very few men in the PR business, and truth be told it is a little uncomfortable. It’s not like standing out being a “gringo” in Mexico, but I do get lonely sometimes. There aren’t too many girls that caught the game last night or are people that you can B.S. fishing stories with.

I get the question all the time of “So, why did you really join PR?” It wasn’t for the female attention for starters. To me it was about the personal interaction that I would have with an audience.

My theory is that maybe it is because women are more pleasing to deal with in public relations. Look at the stereotype of a phone operator, a nurse, or a secretary. How many of you had an image a guy in any one of these rolls? Not too many.

After reading this professor’s blog, I remain puzzled. It is clear to me that he is somewhat missing the issue. It is not that the message is only getting to girls, that is impossible. In my opinion it must be something that triggers girls to peruse the career of public relations and it isn’t that the boys aren’t getting the message.

I doubt the reason is that men are less capable of carrying out the responsibilities of a public relations practitioner. It takes writing, organization, and personal skills which generally doesn’t differ between men and women.

Another perspective from the author or PR Squared

No comments: